Thursday, April 14, 2011

Days in Paradise (or) At Capital of Land of Smiles

Among all the trips we had been on,  one-week stay in Bangkok @ city of angles is one of the most remarkable and enjoyable ones on my mind to date.  I think a lot of the reasons contribute to this deep impression of mine.

First, it was somehow considered to be our honeymoon trip.  In fact, we were planning to go to Australia for our honeymoon but we sacrificed it for Mama since she was having a treatment in Singapore with us.  She was so dependent on me and I could not leave just two of them by themselves in Singapore.   And they weren’t able to tag along with us to Australia either.    Yeah, I know. What you’re thinking: Honeymoon with parents, right?  Well, yes I don’t mind having them on my honeymoon.  Believe it or not! That’s all I can say.

Anyway, when we were in Bangkok, we didn’t consider it as our honey moon trip since little did we know that we would not be able to make to Australia at that point.  Papa and Mama were not yet with us by then.   When it didn’t happen, I guess our vacation in Bangkok was considered to be our substitute honeymoon.   Regardless, we both really did enjoy our vacation in Bangkok and that’s all it matters I guess.

Second, it was the first overseas trip with just two of us together.  Well, we had been to Malaysia a couple of times before that but it was either with friends or via guided tour.    I don’t like being on the guided tour as the time is limited for everywhere they send us.  And yes, this one was self-guided tour.  He indulged me as always and those carefree days cruising around Bangkok were just one of the happiest days of my life.

When I had learnt that there would be a week shutdown at my office during Chinese New Year, I was so thrilled.  I love traveling and I always wanted to go on a trip but it didn’t happen quite often due to the schedule clashes between him and me; when he was available I could not take leave from my work and when I was available, he was busy for this paper, publication, dissertation, blah blah blah.   And my female boss back then was so strict and I could take leave anytime I wish even though I have accumulated enough annual vacation time.  And while working for such stressful job with 24/7 support, I really needed a vacation and that one came in quite perfectly on time.

Thanks to Petrus who had been to Thailand countless times for giving me all the tips.  I still remember that he kept sending me SMS(es) even right before the night we set off with the tips of where to eat, what to do, etc.  Those in fact were quite helpful.

Oh, whenever I recall of those days, they really serve me as sweet and fond memories always.

Day-1:
Mostly the whole day was spent for travelling and at the airports.  We set off from home a couple of hours before our flight time to Changi airport so that we would not have to rush for a thing.    As we had plenty of time, we just cruised around Changi and took quite some snap shots. 

It was about 2 and a half hour ride.   By the time we got to Suvarnabhumi airport, it was afternoon.  We had to spend a couple of more hours there since he was getting his on-arrival visa.  At first, I felt it was a bit daunting at Suvarnabhumi airport as it was quite a mess compared to Changi.

When we were ready to set off to our hotel, we had to line up at the taxi stand and there were quite some mosquitoes around us.  Frankly, I felt so upset right at that moment and it even made me wonder that coming to Bangkok for a vacation might not be a good decision.   However, Day-2 onwards proved me that it was totally wrong. 


After settling in the hotel, we spent our evening at Khao San road which was within walking distance from our hotel.  The vibrant nightlife there really cheered me up.    There were a lot to see along both sides of the road.  I love the street vendors and varieties which were available there: Pad Thai, sandwiches, desserts, fresh juices, shaved ice desserts, ice cream sandwiches to name a few.   Some of the desserts looked really tempting to me and they came in a form which I never had it before.  For example, the ice-cream sandwiches were sold by putting the ice cream scoop within two slices of fresh bread.   As we were walking along the road, I was making a list for me what to try every night :P

There was this small restaurant which was very close to Khao San Road.  I remember that the whole street had full of restaurants and most of them were so packed every evening we went there.   Some of them even had the table and chairs setup in the middle of the street and were full with a lot of tourists who were busy chatting, drinking beer and eating of course. 

We dined at that small restaurant during the first few nights since it was not only very close to our hotel but also the food was quite good.  Oh, yeah the prices were so much affordable and much cheaper compared to Singapore.    How we came to know about it and why we ended up being here?  Well, he did the research and it was recommended by some people from the Chinese forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment